EXPLORE THE HEESEN SUPER YACHT WITH GROUNDBREAKING SILENT CRUISING MODE
Iconic Dutch shipyard Heesen debuted newly launched 50m Home, the world’s first fast displacement super yacht equipped with hybrid propulsion, at the Monaco Yacht Show between 27-30 September 2017.
Leading the field in innovation, her groundbreaking technology enables her to offer the ultimate luxury: a silent cruising mode. Heesen worked closely with sensory expert Professor Barry Smith, Founder of the Centre for the Study of the Senses and Director of the Institute of Philosophy, who found that many of the activities during an outing at sea involve enjoying good food and wine.
In a recent study examining the effect a silent cruising mode would have on guests’ on-board, Smith concluded: ‘Our research has shown that the brain’s processing of taste is affected by noise, which reduces the tongue’s ability to detect salt, sweet and sour. The beauty of Home is the ability to run at a sound of around 46 decibels - the sound level of softly falling rain - enabling those on board to enjoy food and drink to the full with no diminution of taste’.
Heesen continually strives to complement technology and design and believe that in a world full of noise, ‘silence is the ultimate luxury’. The first of a new breed, Home is quieter, cleaner and more fuel efficient.
Frans Heesen founded the company that bears his name in 1978. His priority was performance driven by a spirit of innovation. His mission: to build outstanding yachts with exceptional standards of engineering and meticulous attention to detail. Over the last 30 years, his dream has become a reality.
Top features of Home:
- The Fast Displacement Hull Form offers fuel efficiency due to the use of lightweight aluminium
- The silent cruising mode can reach up to 9 knots
- Her top speed of 16.3 knots is remarkable for a displacement yacht of her size
- Length: 50m (49.80m)
- Propelled by a hybrid of both diesel mechanical and diesel electrical, her power sources can be used simultaneously or independently, reducing noise, vibration and again increasing efficiency
- In silent cruise mode, Home's fuel consumption reduces to a staggering 45 litres per hour – an astonishing feat for a yacht displacing 295 tons and a gross tonnage of 499
- Home’s striking exteriors, featuring a vertical bow, swim platform and floor to ceiling glass windows, are designed by Frank Laupman of Omega Architects
- Inside, her two-tone palette, with jewel-like burgundy details, is the vision of Interior Designer Cristiano Gatto, appointed by the Owner himself to create a linear design enriched by geometrical patterns and using precious materials, including rare Belgian marble
- A beautiful, wide central staircase leading from the generous swim platform to the main deck aft that provides a grand entrance when arriving by tender
- Guests: 12
For more information on Heesen: