CARAVAN RESTAURANTS CONFIRM NEW OPENING IN THE HEART OF FITZROVIA
The New Zealand trio behind Caravan Restaurants, Miles Kirby, Laura Harper-Hinton and Chris Ammermann have announced they will open a new restaurant in Fitzrovia this July, located in the stunning ex BBC Radio 1 recording headquarters. The new site, close to both Great Portland Street and Oxford Circus stations will bring Caravan’s signature well-travelled, all day dining and craft coffee to Fitzrovia and will be home to their brand new Caravan-To-Go concept.
‘Caravan-To-Go’ is the exciting new expansion of the takeout offer that the team from Caravan are already known for at their restaurants and coffee bars. Caravan’s new in-house sourdough bakery and croissanterie, based at their soon-to-open flagship coffee roastery just north of King’s Cross will create a weekly changing series of patisserie. While nourishing bowls, freshly made sandwiches and healthy salads will be served at lunch.
Caravan’s globally-inspired menus will include a completely fresh selection of dishes inspired by the team’s travels, building on the healthy, plant fuelled and fermented offerings they are known for ‘food well travelled’.
All Day Menu
- Confit garlic oil infused herb shrub mussels
- Green falafel, pickled and grilled Cauliflower, radish, garlic sesame, chilli
- Purple kale, rye berries, lemon, ricotta, pine nuts
- Chargrilled lamb cutlets, Kerelan green sauce
- Crispy duck, taramind caramel, celery, shallots, cucumber, coriander
Breakfast and brunch favourites
- Breakfast dosa with curried egg masala and fenugreek
- Waakye rice and beans, shito mayo, chopped egg and smoked mackerel
- Moroccan egg pita, drawn butter, dukkah, cress, pickled red onion, tahini
- Maple oat granola, banana cashew butter, fresh berries, golden spiced almond mil
- Coconut chia pudding, strawberry balsamic shrub, strawberries, thai basil, sunflower seeds
Caravan’s house-made drinks department will now have a permanent home at new flagship coffee roastery, where a dedicated drink R&D and production space will develop and create ferments, sodas, kombuchas, juices, smoothies and cocktails on tap.
- Pineapple rind tepache sparkling soda
- Fermented Sake lees martini
- 24 Carrot Cocktail: a carrot top & turmeric shrub with tequila & house-infused falernum
The wine list will focus on small hold, organic, biodynamic, interesting wine producers who are pushing the boundaries of wine making through creative, sustainable, quality focuses. There will also be a particular emphasis on female-led wine estates, making outstanding wine.
Sustainability | Design | Private Dining
Sustainability in the takeout sector is at the forefront of Caravan’s mind and is a natural progression from their recent announcement to ban all plastic straws and offer a market-leading discount of 50p off all takeout hot drinks with a reusable cup. Alongside the launch of Caravan To Go, the team bring to market a new reusable lunchbox and coffee cup scheme (more details to follow), supporting customers financially to reduce waste. The founding trio believes take-out food and drink need not damage the environment with single-use plastics.
Design inspiration has taken reference from the history of the building and will feature materials and fittings that stay true to the site’s heritage. Blush terracotta brick walls will define the large buzzing dining spaces from the dedicated to-go area, while plaster walls and stone surfaces soften and enhance the space’s natural light and beauty.
In a nod to the building’s history, the basement will house a ‘record room’ accommodating private dining and parties with the option to hire the space with a dedicated bartender and a sideboard of treats. Upstairs, a large bar weaves throughout three defined dining rooms, making it the perfect destination for post-work drinks and dining all day.
Caravan Restaurant, Fitzrovia: Stay tuned for more updates!